CASCINA SAN MAIOLO IS AN EDUCATIONAL FARM ACKNOWLEDGED BY THE GOVERNMENT OF PIEDMONT REGION
We offer educational itineraries based on two main themes. We face several topics according to the needs and components of the groups.
Focused on the integrated management of rice and the paddy field ecosystem.
• agricultural procedures during the farming year;
• canalization and management of the water in our “land of water”;
• specificity of integrated management of our rice;
• birdwatching (wading birds coming to our paddy fields and the importance of their presence).
Starting as far as the year 1039, when we have the prove of the presence of a chapel dedicated to Saint Majolus, abbot of Cluny, on the site of our farm.
• structure and organization of the grangia in the Po valley during the Middle Ages (Cascina San Maiolo is one of the cluniac sites of Novara province);
• the four moments of the historical evolution of the site: chapel, grangia, fortified villa and farm;
• organization of social life in a Po valley farm.
SCALE MODEL OF THE FARM
During our educational itineraries, one of the most interesting stages is that at the scale model reproducing Cascina San Maiolo and its surrounding countryside, complete with ditches and running water. Kids have the opportunity of trying and manage the water by closing and opening the weirs that fill the fields… This is the most arduous and delicate duty and it is still fulfilled by the camparo.
• The planning for your visit is usually built together with the schools and depends on the groups’ interests, on how much time you have and on the number of participants.
• Educational itineraries can include a walk among the paddies that lasts approximately 40 minutes. You may also book a tasting of local products (gorgonzola, cold cuts, maize bread, wine, fruit…) or enjoy your own packed lunch seating on the shades provided by the arches of the old stable.
• Prices of visits vary according to the plan.
EXAMPLES OF EDUCATIONAL ITINERARIES
• White, blue, green and yellow, the seasons of our countryside
For Primary School
• Tracking the wading birds, integrated management of rice at Cascina San Maiolo;
• From basil to pesto
• From cluniac grangia to certified farm holding, history of Cascina San Maiolo.